Originally posted by kakeochi_umai at Stop the Arizona birth control Bill
I just signed the following petition addressed to: Arizona Sentate, Arizona State Legislature, Debbie Lesko.
Stop the Arizona birth control Bill
If this bill passes the senate then women of Arizona would be forced to provide documentation that birth control is for medical purposes only. The "company" would not be required to cover birth control if it was for prevention of conception. Additionally this bill would give companies the right to fire women if they discovered that she was using a contraceptive to prevent pregnancy
I don't usually do this, but anyone who thinks that the world was better before "technology" (nevermind that humans have NEVER not used technology, and that that terminology for what the question means is beyond ignorant) doesn't know what they're talking about.
Thank you, plumbing, penicillin, electricity, and cars. I would not go back for all the money in the world.
If ANYTHING has "worsened" the world it's the "technology" hating luddites' beloved medieval era. It was a HUGE rut in the history of Western humanity and if it hadn't happened, it's been speculated that we would be colonizing space by now.
Fuck you medievalists, I could have been in SPACE.
Maybe I'm also biased because I've spent time in a low-tech "developing nation" area. Seriously, until you have to use an outhouse, do not wish you could go back to the middle ages.
- Current Mood: cheerful
I'm trying to figure out ways to raise funds! I will probably plug it in here a lot, but I'm also thinking of taking one or two little commissions. My goal is $100 but I know a lot of my friends and family are financially in a rough spot, so I'm going to be trying to get bits from here and bits from there.
You can see my art here: http://evilnerd.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do 24hrs of straight up gaming, but to help kids out, I'm willing to try. Another thing I would really appreciate is someone to come along with me, even if it's not with Rift and Trion.
Also, possibly I will be livestreaming? Any thoughts on that? Any ideas as to how to raise funds? Any other thoughts?
Feel free to signal boost! :D
(click the link for the full article)
Our novel Stranger has five viewpoint characters; one, Yuki Nakamura, is
gay and has a boyfriend. Yuki's romance, like the heterosexual ones in
the novel, involves nothing more explicit than kissing.
An agent from a major agency, one which represents a bestselling YA novel in the same genre as ours, called us.
The agent offered to sign us on the condition that we make the gay
character straight, or else remove his viewpoint and all references to
his sexual orientation.
This isn't about that specific agent; we'd gotten other rewrite requests before this one. Previous agents had also offered to take a second look if we did rewrites… including cutting the viewpoint of Yuki, the gay character.
It's time to stand up and demand change. Spread the word everywhere if you are just as angry and outraged by this.
ChipIn: The Amora Fund.
This family's puppy, Amora, got severely hurt when they took her out for a walk. She needs some extensive surgery, and as both adults were laid off, they were unable to pay for it. They actually put her up on Craigslist to try to find someone who could afford the surgery and was willing to take her in, but a local group decided to help them set up a fund instead. They're offering to send truffles or dog biscuits for a $5 donation, too.
- Current Mood: awake
Even if you don't celebrate it, I hope you're having a lovely winter day with your families.
- Current Mood: content
And of course the secret about Pitbulls caught my eye, and because I hate myself, I had to go look at the comments.
Yeah, there's a lot of people defending them, but there's also a lot of people being like "Well, there's two reported dachshunds attacks and 1100 reported pit bull attacks!" and they're not taking things into consideration that need to be:
1. Unfortunately, because of their "rap" people who are inclined to own pit bulls are also the type of people inclined to mistreat them, or encourage their aggressive behavior. What this means is that a lot more pits than dachs are not treated well or trained well, meaning that a lot more pits are going to be aggressive.
2. Pits in general are overbred. So there's a lot more pits out there, than dachs. It's like saying that Americans as a whole are most intelligent than Brits because there's 1000 Americans with genius level IQs to your 100 genius brits (stats pulled out my ass to make a point, they're not important) when America has 10 thousand people in it (again not the real numbers, trying to make a point and it has nothing to do with America or Britain or IQ level) to pool from and Britain only has 1 thousand.
3. Going back to the overbreeding, Pits are also a breed that a lot of people (who are again, unfortunately not inclined to treat their dogs well) like to "breed" ie "Let's have your dog fuck my dog and sell the puppies (to people who would BUY dogs from us: People who again, will probably encourage these dogs to be vicious and mistreat them and ignore them. Do you see the vicious cycle here?) ". Nevermind, in some cases, that these people's dogs are closely related. Mating dogs that are closely related? Tends to have similar results to two people who are closely related having children. My parents are first cousins, and that's okay, my sister and I were safe, but if I were to have my first cousin's child, the chances of it having mental and physical disabilities would increase, and I'm pretty sure that if my child from my first cousin were to have their first cousin's child, it would be even higher. A lot of these dogs are third generation inbred, and sometimes between siblings or parent/offspring. A lot of these dogs, to be quite honest, are mentally disabled (or ill- yes, animals CAN be mentally ill) , and it's a lot harder to tell in a dog. Dach breeding tends to be a little more regulated. Dachs are popular dogs and victims of the puppy mill issue as well, but not to the extent that pits are.
4. Pits are a lot bigger, and stronger, than Dachs. So if a pit and a dach both attack you, you're more likely to get the dach off of you and hold it away from you while it snaps at you than you are a pit. This also means if a pit bites you, because it has bigger teeth and a more powerful (because of size- the locking jaw thing is a MYTH.) bite, it's more likely to cause damage, you are more likely to see a doctor to get it taken care of, and so, there you go, reported. If a dach bites you, it CAN cause damage (I know someone who's finger was permanently damaged by a Yorkie) but people are less likely to go get a small dach bite seen.
5.Dachs are small dogs. Aggressive behavior in small dogs is often not corrected or reported because it's seen as "cute". A snarling Dach is going to be laughed at while a snarling (for ANY reason) pit is more likely to get put down.
There's more, but this is already a long LJ entry at either a chorus, or a bunch of people who don't care (and I'm not saying that offensively! I'm very passionate about dogs and dog knowledge.). But my thing is, Pits attack people, yes. More pits than a lot of other dogs attack people, yes. But that doesn't mean that breed is evil and they all need to be destroyed. What it means is that the breed is in an unfortunate situation that works against it, and people who don't really care about dogs in general are likely to only see the surface, not THINK about the facts logically, and further hurt the breed. And those of us who are educated and care about ALL the facts are likely to get shut down because all we're saying is "my dog is fine!" I don't even OWN a pit. I just really really love all dogs*, care about their welfare, and have put in a huge amount of research.
It's just really frustrating, because they're wrong, but they refuse to see how they're wrong, citing statistics without looking beyond the statistics at the REASON for the statistics.
*Except pugs. Their eyes pop out of their heads. FUCK THEM.**
**Okay, fine, I LOVE pugs.
- Current Mood: annoyed
Ahahahahaha! Watch my work productivity sink! Take thar corporate bastiches!
( When most of your chars are female, a Sailormoon doll maker spells... DOOM!Collapse )
- Current Mood: cheerful
- Current Music:Dr Reanimator-Move Your Dead Bones
- Current Mood: anxious